BBC Virtual Carol Singing - The One Show - Wed 4 Dec 2013
You may have heard that The One Show, on BBC1, has just launched a ‘Virtual Carol Concert’ project. We are hoping to unite the UK in song with a ‘virtual’ performance of ‘Hark! the herald angels sing’, which will be shown on the programme just before Christmas. This is a first for the BBC, so we’re really hoping it’ll be a success… but it needs your help!
We’d love singers, who are over the age of 18, from across the country to take part so I’m contacting you in the hope that you can spread the word. I’d be very grateful if you could forward this email to choirs or any other singers who might enjoy taking part.
This short film explains the concept:
Here’s how to take part:
We’d like you to film yourself singing ‘Hark! the herald angels sing’ using your webcam, tablet computer or camcorder etc. We’ll then combine as many of your performances as we can to create a festive ‘virtual choir’. It’s very easy, thanks to our special website:
1. Go to our Virtual Carol website: http://bbconeshow.streamuk.com
2. Chose a guide video to sing along to (there’s the choice of soprano, alto, tenor or bass).
3. Make sure your webcam is pointing at you and that the room is quiet.
4. Put on some headphones.
5. Click on ‘Record’ – the website will then film you as you sing along to the track. You’ll see the lyrics and a conductor.
6. Once you’re finished, you can check your performance back before submitting it. It will then be sent directly to us.
NB: You’ve got until Sunday 1st December to take part.
Notes for the more technically minded:
If you have access to an external microphone which you can plug into your computer, it may record better quality sound than your computer’s built-in microphone.
An alternative method to using your computer’s webcam is to listen to the track on our website but to do the actual filming with a tablet computer, such as an ipad (other tablets are also available!). This method is likely to give us a higher quality recording. Please position your tablet horizontally, in a stable position, rather than doing it hand-held. Once you’ve filmed yourself, you can simply upload the file on our Virtual Carol website.
Thanks very much indeed for your help. We’re really looking forward to receiving your contribution.